Emmett placed his elbow on the rock and waved me forward.
I was nervous again as I watched the thick muscles in Emmett’s arm roll, but I kept my face smooth. Edward had promised I would be stronger than anyone for a while. He seemed very confident about this, and I felt strong. That strong? I wondered, looking at Emmett’s biceps. I wasn’t even two days old, though, and that ought to count for something. Unless nothing was normal about me. Maybe I wasn’t as strong as a normal newborn. Maybe that’s why control was so easy for me.
I tried to look unconcerned as I set my elbow against the stone.
”Okay, Emmett. I win and you cannot say one more word about my sex life to anyone, not even Rose. No allusions, no innuendos-no nothing.”
His eyes narrowed. “Deal. I win, and it’s going to get a lot worse.”
He heard my breath stop and grinned evilly. There was no hint of bluff in his eyes.
”You gonna back down so easily, little sister?” Emmett taunted. “Not much wild about you, is there? I bet that cottage doesn’t even have a scratch.” He laughed. “Did Edward tell you how many houses Rose and I smashed?”
I gritted my teeth and grabbed his big hand. “One, two-“
”Three,” he grunted, and shoved against my hand.
Oh, I could feel the force he was exerting. My new mind seemed pretty good at all kinds of calculations, and so I could tell that if he wasn’t meeting any resistance, his hand would have pounded right through the rock without difficulty. The pressure increased, and I wondered randomly if a cement truck doing forty miles an hour down a sharp decline would have similar power. Fifty miles an hour? Sixty? Probably more.
It wasn’t enough to move me. His hand shoved against mine with crushing force, but it wasn’t unpleasant. It felt kind of good in a weird way. I’d been so very careful since the last time I woke up, trying so hard not to break things. It was a strange relief to use my muscles. To let the strength flow rather than struggling to restrain it.
Emmett grunted; his forehead creased and his whole body strained in one rigid line toward the obstacle of my unmoving hand. I let him sweat-figuratively-for a moment while I enjoyed the sensation of the crazy force running through my arm.
A few seconds, though, and I was a little bored with it. I flexed; Emmett lost an inch.
I laughed. Emmett snarled harshly through his teeth.
”Just keep your mouth shut,” I reminded him, and then I smashed his hand into the boulder. A deafening crack echoed off the trees. The rock shuddered, and a piece-about an eighth of the mass-broke off at an invisible fault line and crashed to the ground. It fell on Emmett’s foot, and I snickered. I could hear Jacob’s and Edward’s muffled laughter.
Emmett kicked the rock fragment across the river. It sliced a young maple in half before thudding into the base of a big fir, which swayed and then fell into another tree.
”It’s not going to wear off that fast,” I told him. “Maybe you ought to give it a month.”
Emmett growled, flashing his teeth. “Tomorrow.”
”Hey, whatever makes you happy, big brother.”
As he turned to stalk away, Emmett punched the granite, shattering off an avalanche of shards and powder. It was kind of neat in a childish way.
Fascinated by the undeniable truth that I was stronger than the strongest vampire I’d ever known, I placed my hand, fingers spread wide, against the rock. Then I dug my fingers slowly into the stone, crushing rather than digging; the consistency reminded me of hard cheese. I ended up with a handful of gravel.
”Cool,” I mumbled.
- Breaking Dawn, pages 519-521
- imyours1901 reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- imyours1901 likes this
- westcoastgold reblogged this from flyyyb0y
- shewearschanel likes this
- hellsbella reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- nenitsnicole reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- blackheart315 reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- n-liang reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- someonelikeyou-96 reblogged this from shutupitsdisney and added:
- thenameismelody reblogged this from shamelesslyunshameful
- shutupitsdisney reblogged this from past-midnight
- rebelagainstrebellion likes this
- past-midnight reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- goodbye---sweetie reblogged this from the-sound-of-the-drums
- goodbye---sweetie likes this
- -hc likes this
- allhallowstheless reblogged this from the-sound-of-the-drums
- the-sound-of-the-drums reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- foreveryoungchari reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- divingwithsirens likes this
- queeenstewart reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- hello-dreamcatchers likes this
- breaking-gaby likes this
- j4kim-lett reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- teenagegentleman reblogged this from flyyyb0y
- bubblicious-pmc reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- cherrystainedmermaidhair reblogged this from frigginmuffin
- flyyyb0y reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- sberrri reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- invisiblecircus reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight and added:
- alejandrabsl reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- this-is-guppy likes this
- awkwardergleek21 likes this
- messengergabriel likes this
- your-beautifuleyes likes this
- darkgirldrawings likes this
- lunaticwithabooth reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- hannahbooooo reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- sincerelyskyyy likes this
- penguinsgorawrrawr reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- stormy0723 likes this
- lyn-nasty likes this
- cozitsusversusthem reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- bekhuh likes this
- allons-y-raggedydoctor likes this
- vanillamarshmallowjam reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight and added:
- giovannamariad reblogged this from fuckyeahtwilight
- likeahell likes this